CAM at Universities
In developed countries such as the USA, Australia, Canada, but also the United Kingdom and others, more and more often, CAM treatment methods are becoming consolidated, their methodology refined, and appropriate curricula are being developed (in cooperation with professional organizations). These methods are then given the status of an independent field of study. New fields are thus being taught at universities. Although the treatment techniques have a long history, they are only just entering universities.
The following foreign universities (209) teach at least one CAM therapy as an independent field of study. Research teams from some European universities have also participated in the research project CAMbrella (see page 97). The following list is not exhaustive:
- University of Bridgeport, University of Western States, Cleveland University-Kansas City, D'Youville College, Keiser University, Logan University, National University of Health Sciences, Life University, Northwestern Health Sciences University, Parker University, Southern California University of Health Sciences, South Baylo University, Akamai University (also teaches energy therapies)
- e.g. Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières
- Macquarie University, Murdoch University, Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), Central Queensland University (CQU), Southern Cross University
- University of Southampton, University of Exeter, University of Sheffield, University of West London, London South Bank University (LSBU), University of Westminster, University of South Wales, Swansea University Prifysgol Abertawe, BPP University, Wrexham Glyndŵr University, Cardiff Metropolitan University
- Charite – Medical University of Berlin (Charité Universitätsmedizin Berlin), European University Viadrina Frankfurt/Oder, University of Duisburg-Essen, Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich (Mnichov), Witten-Herdecke University, University of Rostock (Universitätsmedizin Rostock), SRH University of Health Gera
- University of Bologna, University of Florence, University of Messina, University of Milano-Bicocca, Sapienza University of Rome, University of Rome Tor Vergata, University of Siena, University of Urbino,
SPAIN: Fundación Universitaria Iberoamericana (FUNIBER)
HUNGARY: University of Pécs
SWITZERLAND: University of Zurich, University of Bern
NORWAY: University of Tromsø
FRANCE: University of Nantes
SWEDEN: Stockholm University
PORTUGAL: University of Porto
GREECE: University of the Aegean
AUSTRIA: Danube University Krems
Examples of specialized universities and colleges:
Canadian College of Naturopathy Medicine (CCNM), Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College (Canada), ISMET – Formación en salud y terapias naturales (Spain, Catalonia), ICTCM – Irish College of Traditional Chinese Medicine (Ireland), The International Academy of Osteopathy (Belgium), The London School of Osteopathy (Great Britain), California Institute of Integral Studies (USA), Pacific College of Oriental Medicine (USA), New York Chiropractic College (USA), Palmer College of Chiropractic (USA), Texas Chiropractic College (USA), Sherman College of Chiropractic (USA), Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (USA), University Natural Medicine (USA), Energy Medicine University (USA).
These institutes offer bachelor, master, and sometimes even doctoral programs in individual CAM fields.
For more detailed information about the colleges and universities, including links, see page 226.